[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Default Language Format

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 00:22:25 UTC 2018

Thank you for bringing up this local example. I had wondered about Ireland.

How are the Gaeltacht legally defined?

Is there a public domain source for the boundaries, beyond the street signs?

Do the boundary lines correspond with village or municipal boundaries? I
see that Wiki page Ireland/Boundaries has defined all the way to
Admin_level=9 and 10, for electoral divisions and “townlands”

Here in Indonesia I think it will usually be possible to define the
language for each “kecematan”, admin_level=8, but sometime we will have to
go  to admin_level=9, which are village or neighborhood boundaries.

The nice thing about this proposal (Chrisoph’s Isea originally) is that
tagging countries and provinces (admin_level 2 and 4) will be easy, and
should work for many places. But countries with more complex linguistic
situations can go to admin_level 6, 8, or even more 10.

If that’s total impossible (eg for Canadian First Nations / Native American
Reservations etc, which don’t have an admin level), it will usually fit
with a boundary=aboriginal_lands, or the alternative tagging
boundary=protected_area, class 24 (cultural protection).

But it’s best to use the administrative boundaries with admin_level when
possible, so that database users can compare the admin_level to decide
which tag is locally valid.

Eg, if the Irish county council admin_level=7 is tagged =en, but a
 municipal district (admin_level=8) within that county is tagged =ga, then
use Gaelic for that district. But use English for any other municipal
districts in the council area which are not specifically tagged. Basically
the database application checks the boundaries in descending order from 11
 to 10 to 9... to 2, till it finds a default language format tag.

Joseph