[Tagging] Default Language Format; language:default or default:language?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 03:06:47 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 19:54, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There are much better food options than McDonald’s in Thailand!

I'd be astounded if there weren't! - I don't even eat the stuff here :-)
Just picked the name as something that's found world-wide.

Actually I believe use the original, English brand name on the signs there.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=
> แมคโดนัลด์%20chang%20mai#map=19/18.78375/99.00043
>
> Fortunately, Nominatum will find you things in Thailand even if you search
> in English, as long as people have added a name:en or an international name
> in Latin script.
> Eg name:th=แมคโดนัลด์ and name:en=McDonald’s for the examples above.

OK, now I'm getting even more confused?

Macca's is marked as both name:en & name:th & shows on the map as McDonalds

But the street just above https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/77991177, hotel
near by https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/301472018 & bank up above
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3416994635 are all marked as both
name:en=whatever & name:th, but all display in Thai characters?

Other shops eg The Scoope https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4873971522,
Burger King https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/907621996 & Plaza Hair
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3417022297 just say name= & all appear
in English. Would I be right in guessing that they've been entered in
English so will appear that way?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 19:07, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is not about language, it rather depends on the local script. Here you
> can see someone has added name:en for a McDonald's which I otherwise would
> not have found:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/355033671

Similar thing - to me, Macca's appears in squiggles, despite also being
listed as name:en=McDonalds, while Giordano's across the road
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4620121040 just has name=Giordano &
appears in English?

Sorry about the questions :-(

Thanks