[Tagging] Map a divide?

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Thu Oct 4 15:54:27 UTC 2018

The definition in the wiki is a bit contradictory, in my opinion. On the one side, it states the thing about that the arrows should point away from the saddle point towards the peaks, like steps or a oneway street, on the other side it describes a ridge to connect several peaks and saddle points. Tagging the whole ridge as one way would be impossible if you followed that "arrow points upward" rule.

There is also no mention of that rule in the original approved proposal. Looking at the history of the article, that rule was added in January 2018, following a short, well "discussion" about how a ridge could be rendered.
The change made amounts to a incompatible, as your enquiry shows, redefinition of the ridge tag because one cannot anymore correctly tag a whole ridge as one way.

We have two options to go from here:
1. Revert that definition change, continue to allow tagging ridges as one way  spanning over several peaks
2. Leave the wiki definition as it is currently and you tag "name=Catskill Divide" on every of the multiple natural=ridge ways you'd have to create along the whole way

I'd favour the first option because
1. Redefinition of an existing tag is a no go
2. The reason why the definition was changed was to make it easier to render a ridge in a certain suggested way. Don't know if it is even rendered this way now (on osm-carto), but in any case this'd be tagging for the renderer, as the information where the ridge goes up and where it goes down is already present in the peak/saddle nodes

Cheers
Tobias