[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:41:24 UTC 2018

On 05/10/18 17:31, Lionel Giard wrote:
> I also support this simplification of definition and tags.
>
> Is there a possibility to indicate that a tower is specifically a
> landmark with a tag of some sort without knowing the height (most of
> them are not publicly known around here) ? Because some are really
> useful for navigation (visible from a long way) while other are only
> visible from up close.

I would use the height tag .. and estimate the height.While it will not
be precise you should be able to convey the difference between two of
significant height differences. Of course you can place a
source:height=visual estimation so that others can see where the height
cam from and fine tune it if they have better data. I have done this for
various towers, in one case I used the shadows in imagery to obtain the
estimation from relative lengths of shadows.