[Tagging] Map a divide?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 09:47:14 UTC 2018

Apparently British English uses "watershed" to name the line that divides
to drainage basins, though Americans would call that a "divide":

I looked up natural=divide on Overdrive Turbo. I didn't find any uses in
Europe. In North America there were two places where the tag has been used:
the continental divide in southern Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico (not
completely finished), and the Sierra Crest along the Sierra Nevada mountain
range.

I think the Sierra Crest would make more sense as natural=mountain_range.
It's also a drainage divide, but the mountain range is certainly the more
significant feature.
The continental divide along the Rocky Mountains does have some sections
that are named mountain ranges, but other parts are along low ridges or
hills (relative to the surrounding terrain), so perhaps it makes sense ot
mark the Continental Divide.

In the previous discussion last month, there were concerns that the
watershed boundary or divide would not be possible to determine in some
places, for example flat wetlands or plains where there is no obvious
ridgeline. Natural=mountain_range doesn't share this problem. But I do
think there should be tags for ranges of hills and ridges that don't
qualify as a "mountain_range"