[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Free drinking water by private entities

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 19:12:12 UTC 2018

Thanks for the link. The situation was the same in Hungary between
1998-2009. As of 2018, it is not a legal obligation, thus it is up to
the owner to decide whether they offer tap water for free. The
reasoning is probably that overheads, dish washing and service is not
at all free, though most "mature" places "usually"  provide water if
asked nicely.

However, do observe the exact wording in the linked article:

>>All licensed premises in England and Wales are required by law to provide "free potable water" to their customers upon request.<<

This should be interpreted as drinking_water=customers, not
drinking_water=yes. As mentioned previously, we could start a table in
the wiki to document country wide defaults. It is realistic to assume
that users are able to cross check between such a table with the full
OSM geo database. This would greatly reduce redundancy.

We are badly in a need of such a mechanism anyway, because there are
many tags which are not very useful in many parts of the world. Just
looking at the forms of the iD editor, I can see many examples. One is
that public smoking has been banned or heavily restricted in Hungary
and many other countries, so amenities default to smoking=no (mostly
at designated outside areas only). I have yet to see a restaurant that
declines to pack my meal for takeaway=* if I can't consume it on
premise, but it may be different in other countries. And then let's
not open the can of worms of default road maxspeed=*