[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 07:57:29 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 7. Oct 2018, at 19:28, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
>
> I hoped to avoid that sidetrack.
>
> Question is the same, no matter whatever "and proper type" means
> type=site or type=multipolygon.

yes, we do not have a generic way of approaching this problem (and given how we do it elsewhere, maybe we should not have at all). Nested name hierarchies are quite common in the real world, e.g. for geographic regions, and while we have solved some special cases like settlements and their parts, we did not so far develop a solution for the generic case.

Locality might fit, but isn’t specific to a group of water bodies, so the solution consistent with the rest of the tagging system would likely be to use something like natural=* and name, where * is a name for this kind of feature, e.g. “waterbodies”.

On a sidenote, I would not see a case for a site relation if you map the ponds as areas.

Cheers, Martin