[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 11:27:35 UTC 2018

Regarding the validity of the name Three Lakes, I think it's very clearly
correct and as such, suitable for inclusion in OSM. There is a screenshot
in my Dropbox and also this citation from the Dictionary of Alaska Place
Names, Orth (1963):

Three Lakes: lakes, 4 mi. SW of Birch Creek
(locality), 30 mi. SW of Fort Yukon, Yukon
Flats; 66"13' N, 145"50f W; (map 119).
Local name obtained in 1956 by USGS.

Screenshot here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idrxsi7m1p2nvze/Three%20Lakes%20Topo.JPG?dl=0
from USGS Topo overlay

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 6:17 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Mo., 8. Okt. 2018 um 13:12 Uhr schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
>
>> A very similar problem are parts of lakes by the way, e.g. look at this
>> map of the lake of Constance, showing names for parts of the lake:
>> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodensee#/media/File:Bodensee_satellit%2Btext.png
>> (or maybe the "lake" in this case is a group of lakes as well).
>>

> The current solution in this case seems to use "natual=bay" tags: e.g.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/74974
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout