[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:57:21 UTC 2018

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 14:39, SelfishSeahorse <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:

> That is, we have two contradictory definitions on the wiki: the
> engineering definition according to which a tower is freestanding and
> mast guyed, and the other definition according to which 'a tower is
> accessible and provides platforms, whereas a mast only offers ladder
> steps to climb it'. (Where does this latter definition come from?)

I've just came across this article on the German Wikipedia [1] that
defines towers and masts similar to our non-engineering definition
mentioned above (translated with www.deepl.com/translator):

> A tower is a vertically aligned structure which can be walked on and which is defined by its height. This means that its height is either a multiple of its diameter or its thickness and/or it clearly towers above the surrounding buildings or adjacent components.
>
> The term tower is to be distinguished on the one hand from the term skyscraper, on the other hand from the term mast, whereby the exact delimitation is often not possible, partly there are intersections, depending upon context different definitions or linguistic blurriness. For example, bell or church towers are usually referred to as towers even if they are not accessible.
>
> In radio technology in particular - in contrast to a mast (transmitter mast), which is often designed as a truss construction - a tower (transmitter tower) is understood to be a accessible, not spanned (i.e. not anchored with guys) upright cantilever construction.

[1]: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turm

There is a risk that towers and masts are defined differently in
English, but perhaps Martin's idea to combine the two definitions
would make sense nevertheless.

Regards
Markus