[Tagging] hydrants

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 22:44:30 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:31 PM François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The question about the opening direction should be propagated to this
> draft proposal regarding pipeline valves
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Pipeline_valves_proposal
>
> I thought about turn_to_close=clockwise / anticlockwise
> Whatever the final answer will be, this definitely have to be the same key
> and values on both fire hydrants and any kind of pipeline valves.

Those are both valves operated with rotary motions.  No problem using the
same key/values for
both.  Or for any other kind of valve operated with a rotary motion.  The
problem comes when, as
somebody suggested, applying it to doors too, so then the editor preset
would have to be context
sensitive.  Your choice of key prevents it being applied to doors.

A less-obvious problem is applying it to taps.  The taps in my home are
rotary.  But I've
encountered taps operated with levers and taps operated with push buttons.
That is
probably not the case with fire hydrants.  So taps would have to be dealt
with by another key,
otherwise the authors of editors would be unhappy.  Not that we're likely
to map taps until
nanomapping becomes popular, but somebody suggested it.

--
Paul