[Tagging] Combined waste/recycling bins

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:44:44 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM SelfishSeahorse <selfishseahorse at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What about
>
> amenity=waste_basket
> recycling:cans=yes
> recycling:paper=yes
> recycling:plastic=yes

If I do it as one node or a single area, that is about the best that can be
done with existing
tags.  The problem is it will get the icon for a waste bin, with no
indication it's also for
recycling.  Fine if you use the query tool, but not many people would do
that.

If I tag it as adjacent nodes or areas it's unlikely (with current
tile-based rendering) to display
both icons, and it's not possible to guarantee which one will show up.

Many of the large recycling receptacles in my town don't have a waste bin
nearby.  Most waste
bins don't have a small recycling receptacle nearby.  I wouldn't assume
that one implies the
other unless the icon made clear that it did.  So the current solutions are
not capable of
adequately representing what appears to be a growing trend of combined
waste/recycling
points.

--
Paul