[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse=governmental

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:32:34 UTC 2018

Hi, Martin!

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 01:09, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> So police stations are out? The ministry of defense is in, but the subordinate units of it are out (because military)? Courts are in? Prisons? Storage (e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_strategic_petroleum_reserves )?
>
> What about publicly owned companies? Does it matter whether they are 100% public, 50% or only 30%?
> Do I understand it correctly that this is for all governmental places regardless of the actual use, like offices, laboratories (public health department, other public institutes)?

No, landuse=governmental is intended for the land used for organising
a country, state, municipality etc., that is, the 'core functions' of
a country, state, municipality etc., which are administering it,
making rules (laws), interpreting and executing them. Therefore only
public administration offices, meeting places of the assembly, courts
and offices of the executive are included in landuse=governmental.
Other governmental services that have different purposes than
organisation (e.g. police stations, prisons, public schools or
hospitals) are excluded from landuse=governmental.

landuse=governmental is about the purpose, that is governing, not the
operator or owner.

I agree that landuse=governmental isn't a very clear tag, but i
haven't been able to find a better one. As mentioned earlier, while
landuse=public_administration would be the most comprehensible, it is,
strictly speaking, only one part of the government. I'm not sure if it
would be a good idea to also tag meeting places of parliaments
landuse=public_administration. Instead defining separate landuse tags
for public administration, executive, parliament and courts doesn't
seem to be practicable either, as many countries don't distinguish
between law making (legislature/parliament) and law executing
(executive) and because at least public administration and executive
are often located within the same building (especially on municipal
level).

What you were thinking of sounds like the very broadly defined
landuse=institutional, which includes facilities with a wide variety
of purposes. [1] If we went that way, we would need sub-tags
(including for military area, i.e. landuse=institutional +
institutinal=military instead of landuse=military). However, the
problem of how to call the sub-tag(s) for public administration,
executive, parliament and courts were exactly the same as without
landuse=institutional + sub-tags.

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:landuse%3Dinstitutional

Regards
Markus