[Tagging] Power=cable for low voltage lines?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Oct 20 02:06:42 UTC 2018

marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> writes:

> Le 18. 10. 18 à 15:01, Greg Troxel a écrit :
>> the idea that people that don't understand the
>> power system can tell the difference doesn't really seem right to me.
>
> so how can my wife add a "this electrical cable" despite she has
> no idea what it means transmission <> distribution nor his voltage ?
> she chooses at random between line or minor_line with an error
> rate of 50% ?
> or should non-experts be forbidden to inform where a cable exist ?
> François' idea of structuring information by "layer" of detail from
> basic to advanced info is full of common sense, damage too often reads
> the argument "the value is widely used and I'm able to choice the good
> tag so we keep the imperfection".

I think you are saying that power=line/minor_line/cable as a top-level
tag is wrong, and there shoudl be power=line with (optional) subtags for
the various things, like bare/covered/insulated,
disttibution/transmission, and voltage.

If so, I agree, but it's been explained that this fight happened a while
ago and what we have now is the outcome.

It seems in this case the OSM way is just to use power=line, don't
worry, and let others fix it up if necessary.