[Tagging] Another multipolygon question

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 09:38:11 UTC 2018

Another situation that occurs quite frequently in my mapping (in Alaska
especially), is when an island defined by natural=coastline is also covered
right to the water with natural=wood. Usually, I duplicate the coastline,
shrink it a bit, and then tag it with natural=wood. But yesterday I tried
something new, new for me anyway, and that was to create a single-member
multipolygon from the coastline way and then tag the resultant relation
with natural=wood in order to reduce the number of nodes used. I was
pleased that JOSM didn't complain and that the island seemed to render okay
but I'm not sure this is a legitimate procedure.
,
The island is at 58.56588, -152.59579 and the relation ID=8828482

What do you think is the best approach to handle this situation?

Dave

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska