[Tagging] Another multipolygon question

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:49:57 UTC 2018

Not only legitimate,  but recommended!

If you haven't stumbled on it yet, another useful procedure is to map areas
of landuse use or landcover by drawing each border only once, and having
each area be a multipolygon with the shared border way as a member. With
that approach there's no need to retrace an irregular boundary. You just
add it to the multipolygon on either side.

For an example, look at West Point.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/175474 and how the shared ways with
the parks, cemeteries, golf courses, and so on are handled. It means that
even simple areas like https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7084917
become multipolygons, but it ensures that the boundaries all stay
consistent, because you need to map each one only once.