[Tagging] Out of the bars and onto the map: An lgbtq:*=* tagging scheme?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Oct 24 08:27:42 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 23 October 2018, Rory McCann wrote:
> [...]
>
> *When* to add a lgbtq=yes tag can be hard to know. In some places a
> gay bar can be easily identified by a prominent rainbow flag. Some
> cultures are less accepting, so bars might not be so blatant (I've
> seen this in the EU). Using the common OSM rules of "local
> knowledge", people within the local LGBTQ community are probably the
> best place to make a final call.

Based on what you wrote i have a bit of a problem seeing a verifiable
meaning of the tag you are contemplating here.  If there is some sort
of certification system for bars based on objective criteria similar to
hotel stars ratings that would be something that can be tagged but a
subjective assessment based on perceived tolerance and friendliness or
by statistics of the clientele seems problematic.

What could make sense in countries with no general anti-discrimination
laws w.r.t. gender identity and sexual orientation is lgbtq=no for
establishments that specifically don't allow lgbtq people.  That would
essentially be an access restriction.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/