[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 20:39:22 UTC 2018

On 25/10/18 02:52, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net
> <mailto:allan at mustard.net>> wrote:
>
>     Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to
>     pose questions.
>
>  This is pretty much based on gut feelings and may be partially or
> completely wrong...
>
> I don't think "amenity" is a suitable tag for a consulate.  Amenities
> are parks, or toilets, or similar.
> "Should we go to the park or the consulate for a picnic today?"   "I'm
> busting for a crap, where's the
> nearest consulate?"  And I'm damned sure an embassy isn't an amenity
> (I'm not even sure, in these
> days of telecommunications, if it serves any purpose other than
> housing spies, but if heads of state
> do still use embassies for formal communication between governments
> they're definitely not
> amenities).
>
> Embassies and consulates seem a slightly better fit in
> office=government, but still a square peg with
> the corners filed down a little trying to fit into a round hole.

An alternative ... just use the diplomatic key alone.
If necessary diplomatic=yes could be used where the precise nature of
the facility is unknown .. much like building=yes.

> I'm not happy with service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is
> used elsewhere for other things.
> It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure
> out which particular
> service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.

Humm the 'sells' tag has the same problem.
Free form entry is a reasonable way around this .. at least until some
use has been made of it to see what is 'frequent' in use.