[Tagging] highway=crossing used on ways

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:16:00 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-13 11:22, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 12. Oct 2018 09:25 by GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
> <mailto:GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>:
>
>     In November 2015 I fix nearly all such ways, since then the number
>     increased again to 488. I don't know about iD, but JOSM prints a
>     warning
>     when you use this tagging, still many edits were made with JOSM. I
>     wonder if that means that we should accept highway=crossing as a
>     shortcut for highway=footway + footway=crossing?

I once opened a thread saying that the term "crossing" is contradictory
with "passage pour piétons".
The English term restrictively suggests being perpendicular to the road
and is tagged on a node.
The French concept covers zebras that are drawn on & along -- e.g. half
of -- the road, is tagged on the highway on which the passage runs, and
they do exist. Unanswered problem: how to tag which side of the road the
paint is on.
That feature meaning a place where pedestrians can walk safely, even a
full area applies.

The answers were typical of "tagging for the renderer", e.g. disguising
sidewalks as being on the road.

How do we tag that without being "fixed"?

All the best,

André.