[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:52:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 6:10 PM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net> wrote:

a) consulates are not embassies;

Indeed.  If they were the same thing they'd have the same name. :)

b) embassies and consulates are government offices, but there is no
> agreement that office=government is appropriate;

I suspect that many of us (me, for one) who have not been intimately
involved with diplomatic
missions interpret "government" as meaning the government (national,
provincial or local) of
the specified country.  Yes, technically, embassies are extensions of the
government of the
sending country but they don't feel like government offices to me.  If I
curse the government,
as I frequently do, I'm thinking of my national government not all the
embassies in my country.

c) neither is an amenity;

Heartily agreed.

d) office=diplomatic is a reasonable option that while not utterly precise
> is close enough (I don't love it but can live with it), and that in tandem
> with diplomatic=[embassy, consulate, etc.] would meet OSM guidelines?

If you can come up with a better value than "diplomatic" then do so.  If
you don't like it being under
the office key, maybe have diplomatic=* as the primary key rather than a
secondary key under
office (although that may well contravene OSM naming conventions I've never
heard of).  But if
we can have healthcare=doctor as an alternative to amenity=doctors or
office=doctor then I don't see why
diplomatic=embassy would be a bad idea.

Also consider diplomatic:service=* or something along those for visas,
etc.  There are probably lots
of things like that (such as help with import licensing) that may or may
not be offered by any
particular mission.  You're the person who knows about these things and
it's better if you cover
all the options now than have people invent them on an ad hoc basis later
and come up with
things that turn out to be sub-optimal.

--
Paul