[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:15:29 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 4:32 AM Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:

> W dniu 26.10.2018 o 22:08, Eugene Alvin Villar pisze:
>

> On the other hand. diplomatic offices and services encompass a range that
> is much too narrow such that I don't think having diplomatic=* as a primary
> key seems appropriate. I would prefer if we just have the office=diplomatic
> + diplomatic=* tag combination instead. This nicely parallels and
> complements the office=government + government=* tag combination[1] that we
> already have, but instead applying to foreign governments.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:office=government
>

> It matches nicely, indeed, but on the other hand this is probably not an
> office:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:diplomatic%3Dambassadors_residence

True, this is not an office. An ambassador/diplomat's residence enjoys the
same extraterritorial rights and privileges as other diplomatic facilities
like embassies and consulates.

But this actually implies that diplomatic=* itself is not a good primary
key. You really do not expect citizens of either the host or the sending
country to just visit an ambassador's residence unannounced and without
invitation. (Maybe you can visit it if the ambassador is hosting a party
and you're invited.) Therefore, such residences should be rendered
differently from embassies and consulates and more like how other notable
residences are rendered (maybe like the White House or Buckingham Palace).
This implies that using diplomatic=ambassadors_residence needs a different
primary tag than office=diplomatic depending on the actual form of the
residence. The residence can be a manor (historic=manor) such the U.S.
ambassador's residence in Buenos Aires[1], a regular house (building=house)
such as the Argentinian ambassador's residence in London[2], or a hotel
suite (tag nonexistent, unless we use the Simple Indoor Tagging scheme)
such as the U.S. ambassador to the UN's residence in New York[3].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosch_Palace
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49_Belgrave_Square
[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residence_of_the_United_States_Ambassador_to_the_United_Nations