[Tagging] Standardizing Mapillary tags and keys

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:43:04 UTC 2018

Hello,

Le 27. 10. 18 à 00:33, Christopher Beddow a écrit :
> 1. when the source for an OSM changeset is from street-level imagery =
> `source=mapillary` (this is mostly standard already)

I hope that you are talking about changeset tag and not filling
all objects with a source tag like we did before changeset tag
for changeset tag : yes
for source tag, no
the issue is that the next mapper use another source
to fill another tag, nobody (and no tools) enforce him to change
the source tag. did he need to add his source to the list ?
a object with at version #100 'll become very ugly.

> 2. when the Mapillary image key is known and used for creating or
> editing a specific feature, such as when the image is currently being
> viewed (like in pic4review), say it's key is `HytC6pfza--epnSXhnqfkw`,
> then tag with `mapillary=HytC6pfza--epnSXhnqfkw`

why not... but it look like per object tag... so I don't see
what the advantage of link every picture to every osm object.
if a mapper want to review the mapillary route, then it load the
mapillary layer, isn't it ?
ot the net step is to add all mapillary object id that show
the osm objet ?
I understand that 'll help a lot of machine learning but osm is not
the right database to make picture-2-object-found-in-this-picture link
I also dislike the ideal that we need to get all the history as object
tag. let's take an example : a see a building, one id.
I fill the number of level, one id for the picture that show the levels.
I fill the roof shape, one id for the picture that show the roof.
I fill the architect tag, one id for the panel of this info.
I fill the building start date, one id for the panel of this info
so every tag may need a mapillary id tag, date tag, source tag and layer
tag... that very ugly... and for what ? what's the advantage to get as
a tag the mapillary id of the picture that show the building startdate ?

> 3. The Mapillary timestamp is important, but we don't encourage exposing
> exact timestamps for privacy, only the day. So we can tag
> `mapillary:date=YYYY-MM-DD` from the image time stamp.

as a changeset tag, great idea.
as a objet tag, bad idea
and for privacy reason, we don't need at all to known that the building
have been see on the 2018-10-27. 2018-10 is for sure enough. and maybe
2018, depending of what you map (a building is build for 100 years,
a shop owner/name/brand may change very often.)

For privacy reason, some of us also wait a opensource mobile app :)

> 4. when the Mapillary source is a traffic sign from a traffic vector
> tile/API then it should have a different key, based on our data
> detection key. Something like:
> `mapillary:data=n932k14cey1nyzejz5zsilzirc` and
> `mapillary:layer=trafficsigns`

I dislike. if you have several id, make several id range
in osm, node/way/relation have several id, but if you saif id n1,
everybody understand you talk about the node and w1 is the way 1.
so mapillary id maybe in the form picture<hash> for a picture,
sign<hash> for the traffic sign id, and another other prefix
you need depending of how many layers you have.

> 5. when the Mapillary source is from a non-traffic sign data source (for
> example, we are looking at getting an overlay of sidewalk lines) then
> `mapillary:data=eyhthsypwnzuxymdunbwsktktu` with the key of the map
> feature again and the layer indicated with `mapillary:layer=lines`

mapillary=line<hash> is enough

Regards,
Marc