[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:56:53 UTC 2018

On 27/10/18 10:18, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 at 06:32, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl
> <mailto:daniel at ko%C4%87.pl>> wrote:
>
>     It matches nicely, indeed, but on the other hand this is probably
>     not an office:
>
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:diplomatic%3Dambassadors_residence
>
> I'd agree that the residence is probably not an office=.
>
> We've agreed that tagging the "embassy" / residence as landuse= or
> building= won't work because of those cases that it's only a flat /
> unit, not a freestanding building.
>
> What's that leave us with?
>
> government= with debate over whether that means host or sending govt, or
>
> amenity= (probably diplomatic)
>
> Have I missed any options? :-)

Yes.

Just use the key diplomatic=* .. no other key to be used.

Can be used on a node where the feature is a small section of a
multi-storey building
Can be used as a way where an entire property - not just a building -
can be mapped.

The key office=* should not be used, does not cover an ambassadors
residence, does not cover mapping the entire property.

Migration away from amenity=embassy?

First add the tag diplomatic=*
There are about 4,000 diplomatic key uses in the data base while some
~11,500 amenity=embassy uses exist.
I have performed this for some ~200 amenity=embassy uses to generate a
diplomatic key.
Look at the name - if it contains;
high - generate diplomatic=high_commission - should occur in capital
cities of the British Commonwealth and not elsewhere
embassy generate diplomatic=embassy - should occur in capital cities
general - generate diplomatic=consulate_general - should not occur in
capital cities

and so on.
As usual a manual check can revel errors. Like a embassy school tagged
as embassy, re-tagged as school.

For the renders;
Render diplomatic=* the same as amenity=embassy.
While this does not distinguish between the various values it does not
imply that they are all embassies.
If there is enough interest then some means of distinguishing between
them can be developed, similar to, say, shops.

That done the tag amenity=embassy can be removed.

That is my present thinking. Subject to change.