[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 09:57:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 12:52 PM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net> wrote:

> If my sense of growing consensus is correct, I suggest that diplomatic=*
> would include only [embassy, consulate, non-diplomatic].

Tagging something as office=diplomatic then diplomatic=non-diplomatic
sounds silly and oxymoronic. Why not simply diplomatic=other? Also we
should allow diplomatic=yes if the mapper doesn't know the exact type.
Therefore diplomatic=[embassy, consulate, other, yes]. (So
diplomatic=embassy applies to regular embassies, Commonwealth of Nations'
high commissions, Vatican apostolic nunciatures, etc.)

> It also offers a potentially neat solution for dealing with the
> non-diplomatic representations of Taiwan and the United States in each
> others' countries

I think we should call a spade a spade. While the Taipei Economic and
Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in the U.S. and the American
Institute in Taiwan (AIT) are not de jure embassies in order to adhere to
the so-called "One China" policy, these offices are de facto embassies with
their head officers having (I think) ambassadorial rank with largely the
same rights and privileges. Since OSM mapping the mainland Chinese
territory is already an illegal activity w.r.t. the PRC's laws, I don't
think assigning the diplomatic=embassy tag to the ROC-related diplomatic
representative offices would make things worse and would cause a diplomatic
incident. (Well, you as a diplomat, probably cannot say so because you are
bound by your Department of State's adherence to the One China policy, but
almost every other mapper isn't a diplomat so we are free to map however we
want. [I can already see the BuzzFeed headline: "U.S. envoy to Turkmenistan
admits Americans have diplomatic relations with Taiwan".])

> and other non-diplomatic representations, such as the Taliban office in
> Doha.

(This sounds interesting! *[Goes and browses the "Taliban in Qatar"
Wikipedia article]*)

> I think limiting the number of options for diplomatic=* to three would
> simplify mapping (and avoid confusing mappers not steeped in the lore of
> diplomacy); the particular type of diplomatic mission is in any case
> reflected in the name=* tag and needs not be duplicated in the diplomatic=*
> tag (e.g., "High Commission of Malaysia", "Embassy of Poland", "U.S.
> Interests Section", "Consulate General of Japan").  If the status of a
> mission changes (e.g., the upgrade of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana
> to an embassy), changing the name would suffice; no re-tagging would be
> necessary.

I generally agree with this idea, but with the Taiwanese caveat I mentioned
above.

> P.S.  Regarding the question posed overnight as to whether one may simply
> drop in on an ambassador's residence, any of you who are contributing
> substantively to this discussion are welcome to drop by my residence in
> Ashgabat any time you are in town :-)  Just please call ahead to make sure
> I'll be home.

That's a great offer! Although I probably would not be visiting Central
Asia in the foreseeable future; my passport is in the bottom half of the
Henley Passport Index so I don't have as much opportunities to travel as
citizens in other countries. :)

BTW, for other people on this thread who are not aware: yes, Allan, the
U.S. ambassador to Turkmenistan, is an active OSM mapper and has
substantially contributed to mapping Turkmenistan in OSM outside of his
official duties. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Turkmenistan