[Tagging] unmarked crossing, tactile paving, lowered kerbs / was: 2 meaning for crossing=zebra

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 10:18:40 UTC 2018

IMO, Absence of an implied barrier (kerb) does not make it a special type of crossing. If the footpath is explicitly mapped over the crossroad and there is a barrier for wheelchairs etc, I would expect to tag the barrier itself, or the linking node, or the road section of the footpath for wheelchairs etc to indicate that wheelchair routers cannot route over the barrier, linking node or footpath section.

If no kerb is mapped, no lowered kerb needs to be mapped either. Default presence of kerbs could be deduced from context, but then the context would need to be explicitly mapped.

If you only map what is actually there, everyone can draw their own conclusions from the actual situation. Conclusions regarding access, priority and accessibility could differ among countries but there is no need to tag for different countries, customs, expectations and legislations.

Just thinking.

Mvg Peter Elderson