[Tagging] Area with restaurants, hotels, cinemas - is it landuse=commercial?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Oct 28 22:25:33 UTC 2018

W dniu 28.10.2018 o 23:14, Graeme Fitzpatrick pisze:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 07:32, Mateusz Konieczny
> <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> wrote:
>
>     Based on my understanding of term "commercial ara" and how landuse
>     tagging is used in OSM
>     I think that area with restaurants, hotels, cinemas fits
>     landuse=commercial.
>

> I would have thought that it would be =retail rather than =commercial?

I also think so - when we have two similar landuses, we should use the
one which is more specific:

1. "Commercial" landuse has been defined more general, as if it was
"offices" mainly, but also including sale:

"Commercial landuse mainly deals with services and trade (tertiary
sector <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertiary_sector_of_the_economy>).
Such area may consists of offices, administration, laboratories,
warehouses (logistics park), car repair stations and their associated
infrastructure (car parks, service roads, lawns and so-on)."

2. Unfortunately retail is similar, but mainly about sale:

"Predominantly shops and their associated infrastructure (car parks,
service roads, lawns and so-on)."

--
"Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]