[Tagging] Another multipolygon question

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:46:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 7:54 AM Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Someone added the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to OSM but did not add a
> bunch of inner areas that aren't part of the refuge. I have the inners in a
> shapefile that end up in a separate layer when I import them into JOSM. I
> would like to add those inners to the existing boundary of the refuge. How
> can I transfer those inners from the shape layer to my data layer?
>
> I've tried everything I can think of, including the special paste function
> inside the Relation Toolbox I learned about recently, but cannot get them
> to transfer *en masse*. I can copy and paste them one at a time but there
> are a few dozen tiny parcels. I also tried pasting them in place and then
> using JOSM's Search function to select "type:way untagged new" and that
> worked but it's clumsy.
> There must be a better way to do this.

If you have just the one multipolygon in the shapefile, or you have just
the inners in the shapefile, it's pretty easy.

Import the shapefile into JOSM. Yes, it comes in as a new layer.

Select the inner rings by whatever means.  One possibility is to delete the
outer ring (just don't save the shapefile again, or save it under a new
name before you start so that you can throw it away) and then 'Select All'
followed by 'Select->Unselect Nodes' (Shift+U). Copy the inner ways
(Ctrl+C).

Switch to the OSM layer and do Ctrl+Alt+V (Paste at Source Location).

You now have your newly pasted items selected. Bring up the relation editor
on your relation, and you'll see the selected items in the right-hand
column. Use the 'insert at the bottom' button in the middle bar to bring
them over. into the relation.

Now they're in the left-hand column, and still selected.  Type 'inner' in
the 'role' prompt at the bottom and hit the check mark. Now they're all
inner ways.

If you're afraid of losing the selection, add some tag like 'dave=1' to the
items before you copy-n-paste, and then the Search dialog can find them
easily. (Don't forget to delete the tag when you're done!)