[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Wed Oct 31 01:40:40 UTC 2018

On 10/31/2018 3:11 AM, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

>     If the consensus is that "other" sucks as an option I'm certainly
>     open to other suggestions, but we need something for diplomatic
>     missions headed by neither an ambassador/charge d'affaires (i.e.,
>     subject to the VCDR) nor a consul (i.e., subject to the VCCR).
>
>     diplomatic=minor_mission? If there's neither a consul nor an
>     ambassador, it must be somehow minor ;-)

Nobody wants to be called "minor" in diplomacy.  Wars have been fought
over lesser insults.  If that's the only other suggestion, then my
proposal will remain "other" :-o  The head of the OSCE mission here in
Ashgabat is a former ambassador and will certainly take umbrage with me
if her mission is somehow described as "minor".

>     if these are all exclusive, it could also be:
>
>     amenity=[embassy, consulate, minor_mission]

I think we are past the point of calling diplomatic missions "amenity".
We're now down to either "office=diplomatic" or "diplomatic=*"  There
has been broad consensus expressed that diplomatic missions are not
amenities.