[Tagging] Questions about subway tags

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 13:20:15 UTC 2018

According to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport#Railways
"*railway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway>=subway_entrance
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dsubway_entrance> can be
used to define entrances to metro stations."*

Should we be using that tag to tag entrances to heavy rail underground
stations, even though they aren't metros? I'm assuming the term subway here
means a metro system, i.e. "A metro system is a rapid transit train system.
In some cases, metro systems are referred to as subways or undergrounds." (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Metros)

Is there a tag for heavy rail above ground station entrances? These usually
have branded signage visible on the streets of where to enter the train
station.

Again on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport#Railways"*
Stations
of subways are tagged with railway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway>=station
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dstation>, subway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:subway>=yes
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:subway%3Dyes&action=edit&redlink=1>
and station
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:station>=subway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:station%3Dsubway>. The two latter
tags are used to indicate that a station is a subway station."*

Unfortunately the subway key is undocumented on the wiki, could someone
please help explain what the subway key is meant to mean? How is it
different to station=subway? How is it used by data consumers? Should it
only be used on rapid transit train systems (metros), and not to be used on
underground heavy rail stations?

Many thanks!