[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC canal=qanat

Joseph Guillaume josephguillaume at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:53:38 UTC 2018

Thanks Paul and Christoph, both for your feedback and encouragement!

I've now added mention that qanats can be tagged in parallel in terms of
their historic value.
New text:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/Qanat&diff=1644721&oldid=1644670

I've also made a first attempt at defining qanats in general terms, and
explicitly listing names of similar features in other regions (based on the
Wikipedia article). The term "qanat" is therefore used because it is the
most commonly recognised in English.
As part of the definition of qanats, I've stated that they are always
free-flowing, not pressurized/pipe flow. I understand this is generally
true, and if there are exceptions, then a different waterway subtag might
be needed in future.
New text:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/Qanat&diff=1644818&oldid=1644721

Best Regards,