[Tagging] routes with double use hiking and bicycle

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 10:23:24 UTC 2018

Good question.
I forget to mention that the handling of long relations is cumbersome, and
even the duplication is a lot of work. In addition would be only a
work-around, because the real objects I want to describe are really
double-use and not the superposition of two separate objects with identical
geometry. This is a bit like as if you were to superimpose two highways one
for cars and one for HGVs. In case of roads we solved the problem by
default tables according to highway classes and with access tagging, but
for relations I cannot use access=no plus foot=yes plus bicycle=yes or
similar constructs.
It is true that when you increase the mapping detail with separate
sidewalks you may end up with separate relations anyway, but here we use,
so far, very rarely separate ways for sidewalks, and, in addition, a large
percentage of separately tagged "cycle" ways are in reality mixed
foot-cycleways anyway.

Volker