[Tagging] Questions about subway tags

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 12:44:14 UTC 2018

Thanks for your thoughts Martin, very much appreciated.

I think the biggest confusion for me is that in Sydney we have heavy
rail which is underground (it's not a metro, aka subway), but soon a
mass rapid transit train (metro aka. subway) which is above ground.

So we'll be tagging railway=subway_entrance (the accepted tag for
metro entrances) on entrances that don't lead underground, and we'll
be tagging regular train station entrances on entrances which do lead
underground.

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 at 23:29, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1. Sep 2018, at 15:20, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Should we be using that tag to tag entrances to heavy rail underground stations, even though they aren't metros?
>
> I would not do it. It is explicitly for subways.

If this is the consensus then we should change the wiki as it
currently says "A subway entrance is a place where people enter or
exit a train station", it should be enter or exit a subway (mass rapid
transit train) station.

> Is there a tag for heavy rail above ground station entrances? These usually have branded signage visible on the streets of where to enter the train station.
>
> entrance=*

How about entrance=yes + train=yes + tunnel=yes (only when the
entrance is above ground and leads down stairs to the underground
train station) + name = station name, network + operator tags?

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 at 23:41, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> although I’m not completely sure, it seems redundant, station=subway is the “legacy” tag (undocumented for a long time), subway=yes is ptv2

station=subway is well documented
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:station%3Dsubway with 11k uses
and approved status.

subway=yes is completed undocumented as a Key or Tag,