[Tagging] motorcar definition changed recently

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 00:19:24 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 3. Sep 2018, at 01:36, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When  you look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:motorcar
> it has some details that make the change possibly valid ...

hm. After 10+ years of all mappers tagging according to the same definition someone comes along and says the meaning of the tag must change to something different (broader), and he changes it. Why didn’t he introduce a new tag for the different class he needs?

I don’t know why you believe cars aren’t dealt with in legislation, at least in Germany (Personenkraftwagen) and in Italy they are defined as vehicle classes in the law, but I would expect the situation in many countries to be analogous.

Cheers,
Martin