[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:30:07 UTC 2018

I'm still trying to cook up a scheme where those pullouts can be added as a
way and then tagged in a manner that reveals their purpose and function.
The use of lanes may indeed be the most correct approach but to my way of
thinking, it doesn't communicate the purpose of the "extra" lane very well.
Because the turnouts use a separate lane, are very short in length, and are
not really thoroughfares in the usual sense, might it be logical to tag
them as service roads? As an example:
highway=service
service=slow_vehicle_turnout (or slow_vehicle_lane)
lanes=1
oneway=yes

Opinions? Observations?

--