[Tagging] wiki modification landuse=meadow definition

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 15:48:36 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't see any tags in favour of "for a",

I didn't either.  But I didn't look very hard.

> the common tag is landuse=forest not forestry,

You have introduced the perennial [groan] problem with landuse=forest.  The
wiki made clear it was
intended to mean land used for forestry, instead most people interpreted it
as meaning land with a
forest on it, which is better tagged as landcover=trees or natural=wood.
Going by the intended meaning,
landuse=forest was meant to indicate land used for logging.

> other tags include "greenfield", "brownfield", "landfill", village_green,
> farmland, farmyard.

Yeah, I think the "is a" relationship wins by a large margin, and
landuse=meadow fits those semantics.

Now we can have a long (and not very productive) argument about whether
landuse ought to mean "for
a" relationships.

This list constantly reminds me of the aphorism by Frederick P Brooks when
writing about the design of
operating systems and business applications: "[...] plan to throw one away;
you will; anyhow."  Your
first attempt will be sub-optimal, but you'll learn how to do it right the
next time.

With the benefit of hindsight, we could come up with a far better (more
consistent, more comprehensible)
system of tagging based upon what we've learned.  But we won't (can't) do
that because it would essentially
mean mapping EVERYTHING again (a major percentage of objects will not be
directly translatable).  So all
we can do is try not to make it worse by adding even more tags that are
inconsistent, incomprehensible,
and have a natural interpretation that contradicts how they're meant to be
used (forest/forestry).

Then again, according to Ralph Waldo Emerson "A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds."

--
Paul