[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 18:24:49 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 7:08 PM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

 it reasonable to draw 'coastline' on fresh water?

There is going to be diffusion, although that will be dwarfed by tidal
effects.  And since ocean salinity comes from rivers
washing salt out of the soil to the sea, careful measurements will find
salinity far upstream.

Not being a hydrologer, or a professional cartographer I would have thought
tides had a part to play.  I.e., where a river's
high water mark fluctuates (roughly) twice daily or where flow is reversed
in an estuary because of tidal flow.

I expect somebody has a better definition.

--
Paul