[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:33:20 UTC 2018

Colin and Christoph, could you give some guidance about a couple of
the specific situations that I brought up in the original post?

First, in the question on the help Q&A board, the other mapper wanted
to remove the coastline from tidal parts of rivers in England , so
that the end of the waterway=river would meet the coastline. It looks
to me that this is contrary to standard mapping in England and many
other places. But I can see why some people look at the waterway line
out beyond the coastline and feel it needs the river area mapped.

Would mapping the water area of the river all the way down to the
mouth be a good solution? This would be extra work in the ID editor,
but quite simple in JOSM. It would lead to having two ways on the
riverbank from the mouth to the end of the coastline: both
natural=coastline and natural=water (or waterway=riverbank), but then
it would be easier to calculate the total surface area of a river
include it's estuary and tidal portions, for example.

It seems like this would be reasonable, if the coastline is considered
to map the furthest inland limit of the marine environment (at high
tide), and the river area plus the line of the waterway are mapping
the longest extention of the river.

Has this method been used extensively?
-Joseph Eisenberg