[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Sep 7 19:20:26 UTC 2018

On 06/09/2018 12:37, Steve Doerr wrote:

> Note that in 'passing place', as commonly used in the UK at least, the
> reference is usually to two vehicles going in opposite directions, so
> it's not the same as overtaking (though 'passing' does mean that as
> well, more often in fact).

Not strictly true, passing places in England, Scotland and Wales are
also intended to allow faster traffic to overtake.

It is covered by highway code rule 155 states "If you see a vehicle
coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a
passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

It reminded me of a public information film from a while back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZownCGnYg