[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 23:19:08 UTC 2018

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 08:26, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still looking for a simple solution that allows me to tag
> slow_vehicle_turnout lanes in such a way that makes them visible to drivers
> using a GPS as they motor along behind a sluggish truck or bus: "Turnout
> lane ahead in 1000 meters". Simple logic and unambiguous tagging will make
> that easier than figuring out that a short multi-lane segment of a given
> highway actually contains a lane dedicated for vehicles to use so they can
> be passed.

I'm also quite definitely not an expert Dave :-), but personally, I think
that your highway=service + service=turnout concept may be the easiest,
least messy or complicated way of doing it?

It will render as a road & will show up differently to the highway you're
following, which achieves the aim. It may not be a perfect match for what
is on the ground or the best theoretical solution, but, as an old military
adage put's it "If it's a stupid idea & it works, then it's not a stupid
idea"! :-)

Thanks

Graeme