[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 11:00:05 UTC 2018

Martin, are you saying we need a new top level waterway=* tag? What would
you use? Perhaps waterway=yes? That would be the most generic option,
perhaps too broad? Or waterway=marine ? Waterway=tidal?

The correct English term for these features is variable. In southwest
England, they are called creeks (or tidal creeks), or pills. Creek is also
used for water channels between mangroves in India and Pakistan. But in
other areas they are called tidal channels or tidal inlets. See this
Wikipedia article for all the examples:

This makes it hard to decide on a specific tag. "Creek" would be a poor
choice, because some dialects use this word to refer to small freshwater
rivers (or large streams), including most of North America. That's why I
was inclinded to use a more general tagging scheme.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 7:08 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> sent from a phone
> > On 9. Sep 2018, at 07:00, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > What do you all think about using waterway=river & river=tidalchannel
> for water channels in mangroves?
> IMHO we could have a tag for channels which could be applied also
> elsewhere and which is not river (rivers are usually freshwater, tagging
> tidal channels as rivers seems strange)
> cheers,
> Martin
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20180909/70b65eb5/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list