[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 00:09:34 UTC 2018

The legal definition of the baseline is the low tide line and also cuts
across bays, inlets and estuaries.

But OSM has always marked the coastline at the mean high water line, and
that is also the line shown on most maps. It is also much easier to verify
than the low water baseline, which by definition is in the sea 99% of the
time.

I believe the German language Wiki page mentions that the baseline can be
marked as an administrative boundary, because it is a legal fiction, not a
geographical feature of the landscape.

In the past a few people have mentioned adding the low water line as a
second feature in addition to the coastline, but so far people have beeen
individually drawing shoals, mud flats, beaches and other wetlands befoyond
the coastline, which seems sufficient to me.