[Tagging] What is a terrace after all?

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 00:27:01 UTC 2018

Hi,

According to my OSM readings, I thought that a terrace was something
very special, but, according to dictionary.com
<https://www.dictionary.com/browse/terrace>, a terrace is most exactly
like French, mainly a) raised ground, b) flat top of a building c) an
accessible area connected to a building at ground or upper level, such
as for living or other purposes..
But beside that, dictionary.com defines a Terrace as a plain row of
houses without a terrace at all and so does building=terrace
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace>, unlike
French and Wikipedia which calls it Terraced_house
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraced_house> (adjective).

Practically, I'm correcting hundredths of houses tagged at 3-5m+ away
from their true location, with incorrect shape and without any addr:* at
all. And during this I met areas tagged building=terrace that, of
course, are just as imprecise: they get across the houses.
If I map the houses that are inside, I get a very logical JOSM
congratulation: "building inside a building".
In my mind, building=terrace is a bad tag. It should be:
building=house
house:terraced=yes
be it as a row of houses or a single one.
But I'm sure a reply will be "we" are not doing like that.  Like what, then.
What should I do? building=terrace
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace> describes
mapping separate houses as an *alternative*.
Erase what another mapper did, and replace that element with houses?
While waiting, I converted them to landuse=terraced (invisible).

On the other hand, I once asked how to map a part of the street that is
fitted with tables and seats near a café or restaurant.
That is a *real* terrace.
No answer.

All the best,

André.