[Tagging] Designated value as a key

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:34:21 UTC 2018

On 09/09/2018 13:53, Johnparis wrote:
> I agree that it is theoretically a problem for the software not to use
> access:bicycle=yes (for example) instead of bicycle=yes. I believe
> I've seen (from Thorsten?) a list of such tags, as a hierarchy.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Land-based_transportation
>
> Data consumers always have this problem with OSM's free-form tagging.
> I'm not sure the list above is comprehensive.

The wiki doesn't (and shouldn't) document "access:foot" etc. there, but
the tags that are used of this form can be found at
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=access%3A

Lots in that list don't fit this form; of the ones that do (such as
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/access%3AN3#map ) many are
presumably local solutions to local problems.

Data consumers can choose to consume "access:blah" if they want provided
that "blah" is fairly obvious and it's listed in taginfo. This doesn't
mean that "access:foot" is a "good tag" though.

The current "designated=" list is at
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/designated#values .  Most things
there probably need retagging on a case-by-case basis; as an example I
suspect that "designated=footway" on
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/227007990/history is an orphan from a
previous use of "access=designated", which someone then "tidied", but
didn't look at the data that they were changing.

Best Regards,

Andy