[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Sep 12 11:44:05 UTC 2018

Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> writes:

> Same here. I don't have any objections to either the abbreviation or the
> longer form. "smv" just seemed to fit well with the other abbreviations
> already in heavy use.
>
> Does anybody else have input on this?

I have significant discomfort with smv and a bit with slow_vehicle,
because hgv is a in OSM is defined as a vehicle with an allowable gross
weight (GVWR in US terms) over 3500 kg (that's not a bus or a passenger
car).  So a given vehicle is or isn't an hgv, and it doesn't change.

A slow vehicle, on the other hand, is any vehicle, regardless of actual
and permitted weight, that is driving below the prevailing speed in the
right lane, or is about to be because of a hill.  A vehicle that could
be driven at an adequate speed, piloted by someone who chooses not to,
is still a slow vehicle, and an empty truck might well not be.

So I would call it "climbing_lane", although I suppose there might be
such lanes not on hills.  A tag of "slow_vehicle" seems ok, because it
doesn't imply parallel structure with hgv.

I have seen roads that are often 1 lane and have a 5 mile section of 2
lanes.  But those are not really the same thing.