[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Kevin ksamples at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:00:23 UTC 2018


Here in Georgia (USA) I believe we call these types of lanes "passing
lanes".  But that's usually only in reference to the left lane.  You
generally stay to the right except to pass.

https://www.dawsonnews.com/local/gdot-remove-hwy-53-passing-lane/

Kevin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >You say "turnout".  But physically, is it just an additional lane that
> >appears, and (more or less) one is obligated to move right one lane into
> >it if you're in the way?
>
> Exactly. I explained this several posts ago. It is an additional lane,
> running for perhaps a quarter mile, sometimes longer, that any vehicle
> which is holding back some number of other vehicles is obligated to use so
> that those following vehicles may pass. The reason I used the term
> "turnout" is because the signage erected by the Alaska DOT uses that term,
> as in, "Slow Vehicle Turnout Ahead 1500 feet".
>
> I see polyglot is ready to add some sort of processing to JOSM's
> PT_Assistant plugin if only we can decide what to call such lanes in OSM. I
> think the term slow_vehicle would work just fine.
>
> Dave
>
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:11 AM Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A few months ago bus_bay=left|right|both was voted. For me this is
>> similar, albeit over a longer distance.
>>
>> extra_lane_for_slow_moving_traffic_to_compulsory_halt_to_
>> let_other_traffic_pass_by=left|right|both ?
>>
>> If you figure out which tag to use, we'll add it to the double split map
>> mode of JOSM's PT_Assistant plugin.
>>
>> Polyglot
>>
>> Op wo 12 sep. 2018 om 18:49 schreef Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com>:
>>
>>>
>>> > Again, I emphasize, this is not a crawler lane or a hill climbing
>>> lane. It
>>> > is a lane into which one pulls over to allow faster moving traffic to
>>> pass.
>>> > In fact, Alaskan law demands that any vehicle being followed by 5
>>> vehicles
>>> > must, at the first opportunity, allow those vehicles to pass. I doubt
>>> > anyone has ever been ticketed for this offense but nevertheless, the
>>> law
>>> > exists. Alaskan highways also have hill climbing lanes that are signed
>>> > "keep right except to pass". Those lanes are not the same as this one.
>>>
>>> Sorry, didn't get that this is not climbing lane (my fault).   In New
>>> England, extra lanes that one would associate with "slow vehicle" are
>>> 99% on hills.
>>>
>>> > Perhaps "slow_moving" isn't the best term for this sort of highway
>>> turnout
>>> > but it does the job.
>>>
>>> You say "turnout".  But physically, is it just an additional lane that
>>> appears, and (more or less) one is obligated to move right one lane into
>>> it if you're in the way?
>>>
>>> Do any routers do anything?  An example of how the data would be used,
>>> or how you think it would be used in an ideal future might be
>>> illuminaing.   Perhaps one's car computer could notice from forward
>>> radar that there is obstructing traffic and query osmand and give you a
>>> notification that the road becomes multilane in some distance, so you
>>> can get ready to blink to get the obstructor to move over if they stay
>>> left?   In that case, I wonder about the difference between a change to
>>> two lanes (perhaps because the row is wide enough and the long-term plan
>>> is 2) and a specific place like you describe.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Tagging mailing list
>>> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>>>
>>
>
> --
> Dave Swarthout
> Homer, Alaska
> Chiang Mai, Thailand
> Travel Blog at http://dswarthout.blogspot.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20180913/31928bfb/attachment.html>


More information about the Tagging mailing list