[Tagging] Mapping language borders, tagging offical languages?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 15 10:11:03 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-15 06:33, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> I like the word "default"; it doesn't make a value judgement or have positive / negative connotations. And it sounds like it has to do with how the database should function, which is the right idea. The most common language used for names should be the "default", whether or not it is official.

As long as it is made explicit what the scope is for this default. We
may need different default languages for different contexts.
Interpreting name=* is one thing but it is a different concept to the
locally spoken language(s), or the official language(s) for example.

> _language:default=<code>_ has the advantage of being searchable with a simple query like "language:default=*" in Taginfo, Overpass and JOSM. But it requires the use of semicolons to specify multiple default languages.

A default should not require multiple values! It is the single value to
be used in the absence of an explicit value. If you think you need
multiple defaults, see my comment above about different contexts.