[Tagging] Draft Proposal: Default Langauge Format

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:37:59 UTC 2018

WRT dauflt_language key -- the problem it tries to solve is that rendering
software needs to know the language of the "name" tag. OSM editor shouldn't
tell the renderer what to use, they should give all the data available, and
let renderer developers choose what they need for the specific usecase, and
specific user.  Using multiple languages inside a single "name" tag is
presumptuous because it assumes all users will want to see multiple
languages for a single location.  Edit wars go a bit beyond this -- e.g.
there could be a political conflict even inside one language. Ideally the
data should reflect all such choices, and the "name" tag should simply be
ignored, but that's just wishful thinking? :)