[Tagging] Fwd: OSM Wikibase is now live

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:51:26 UTC 2018

This is wonderful news! I hope this will soon become the new principal tag
database to get semantic meaning out of OSM tags. Thank you to all involved!

And now a few questions:

Why isn't there key+value as a property? The Q888 (bridge:movable=bascule)
should have a property "Tag" which has the whole string,
"bridge:movable=bascule". That brings us to my second question:

Are there plans to have tag combinations? I have a feeling combinations are
going to be the real killer application, because only with combinations you
can connect tags and real world classes of objects. For example, a football
field can't be put in the wikibase with any one tag. We need a tag
combination, leisure=pitch + sport=soccer.
Bridge:movable=bascule is also only an attribute of a bridge, not an
instance of a movable bridge.

So I propose a new value, "instance_of":"tag_combination", and in it, we
can have two or more "Tag" properties that I proposed in the first half of
this post.

Again, thanks for making this service!

Janko