[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 19 08:28:12 UTC 2018

A "maximum" speed does not mean an "advised" speed. If you are driving
at an unsuitable speed, below the posted maximum, in Europe you will not
get a ticket for "speeding" as such but you may get one for "dangerous
driving" or something similar. The obligation to drive in a safe way
overrides all other more specific limitations. Think of overtaking -
just because it's not prohibited, doesn't make it safe (reasonable and
prudent).

There is no point in trying to reflect this "reasonable and prudent"
stuff in OSM. We should stick to the objective limits, by virtue of
signposting and/or  statutes.