[Tagging] maxspeed:type vs source:maxspeed // StreetComplete

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Sep 19 17:34:14 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-09-19 at 18:04 +0200, Colin Smale wrote:
> In many countries in Europe, the "Welcome to XXX" sign as you enter a
> town/village has the effect of delineating the "built-up area" for
> traffic purposes and introduces a specific speed limit, without any
> numbers being mentioned. In the countries I know in Northern Europe
> it means "maxspeed=50 kmh" until you leave the town/village (unless
> otherwise indicated of course). And that is independent of the type
> of road by the way. On a motorway you will not pass one of these
> official signs, so you carry on at 130 or whatever. The sign would be
> on the exit ramps.
> The built-up area for traffic law purposes is therefore often non-
> contiguous, made up of lots of polygons. You just have to know if you
> are in or out of a built-up area, because it makes a difference to
> many things about traffic laws (not just maxspeed).

When joining a motorway you will see the international chopsticks
symbol which tell you that the national motorway speed limit applies.
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=52.60005784739699&lng=-1.19589832816
87308&z=17&pKey=Gkpjh6SE0kU_Yw96YfXNQg&focus=photo
In the UK roads that are National Speed Limit are indicated by a white
circle with a black diagonal line indicating the start of the national
speed limit, this is 60mph on single carriageways and 70 mph on dual
carriageways.
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=52.863630348111315&lng=-2.7200549019
88078&z=17&pKey=4aM-U0vHuiOEqF2lWHBjbQ&focus=photo
We use the maxspeed:type tag to indicate that we have observed this
sign and interpreted it as gb:nsl_single/gb:nsl_dual or
gb:nsl:motorway.
Phil (trigpoint)