[Tagging] landuse for government offices ?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:26:49 UTC 2018

What appears to be practice here, although I have only a few mapped
examples, is to have office=government appear on the (multi)polygon
representing the grounds, and not just on the building. I concede that
if you have a single large campus with offices of many agencies, the
subtags don't work, so I'm not opposed to a new tag for the landuse.
I'm simply concerned whether the handful of local examples that I
managed to turn up were mistagged.

The landuse also is perhaps better in that it's a more appropriate tag
for 'government' facilities such as a highway maintenance garage. In
some of the villages around here, the highway maintenance, police,
fire brigade, and village government are all in the same building.
I've paid a traffic ticket in front of a justice of the peace who was
seated at a judge's bench in the corner of a firehouse, with the
engines backed out into the car park while court was in session. Got
to love a village of four hundred souls in the middle of nowhere.